Next to the bathroom and the front entryway of your home, no area of the house sees more traffic than the kitchen. Kitchens are far more than just a place to store and cook food—they're also a prime gathering place for you and your family, and also your guests, to spend time together. Kitchens are also subjected to daily water exposure, oil and dirt build-up, and other types of abuse that can make them deteriorate faster than in other areas of the house. For these reasons and more, the kitchen is one of the most popular rooms to remodel.
The great news about a kitchen remodel is that it doesn't take a lot to make an impact. One of the most underestimated areas of improvement is the windows. Replacement windows represent an opportunity to change the natural lighting inside the kitchen, and to make it a safer and more beautiful place to spend time with your loved ones. However, there are things to consider before you hire professional contractors like the ones at Bordner Home Improvement to install your replacement windows.
If you're looking for inspiration for your kitchen window remodeling project, you're in the right place. In this guide, we'll go over some of the options homeowners have when replacing windows in the kitchen area.
What Your Windows Should Provide
Choosing the type of windows to use in your kitchen is a big decision. The shape and style of your windows will affect the decor and space in a dramatic way, which is why it's a good idea to put some thought into it before settling on a window type. Here are some things to consider when deciding how to upgrade your windows:
- Ease of Use: In a lot of cases, the kitchen window(s) will be above the sink or countertop. Depending on your height, it can be tricky to operate your window if the levers are placed too high. In this case, casement windows, sliders, and window styles that can be opened easily from the bottom should be considered for easier use.
- Air Circulation: The kitchen is where all the cooking happens. This means steam and smoke will infiltrate the room and good ventilation is ideal. The easiest way to manage this is to select windows that allow control of your air circulation. Some windows, like double-hung windows are naturally designed to better airflow in and out of the home.
- Aesthetics: Style should play a large role in the decisions you make during the remodel. The kitchen windows won't be any different. Fortunately, there are numerous styles available thanks to improvements in the replacement window industry. You may want to consider adding in a breakfast nook with a beautiful bay or bow window for added value and beauty.
- Lighting: Windows naturally let in light, but there are some designs better suited to accomplishing this task. You'll want larger and more open windows if the lighting is a concern for you.
Windows That Fit Your Needs
At this point, you know what to look for during your window-shopping. Now, it's time to identify the window styles that match those needs before you commit to a particular style. Some of these have already been mentioned above, and some of them haven't—but all of these are popular choices for kitchen window replacements:
- Sliding Windows: This is a perfect choice for those window openings above the kitchen sink or counters. The sliding track makes one finger operation a snap. Plus, the excellent air circulation is not to be ignored with this option. Ultimately, this is one style to seriously consider for homeowners.
- Garden Windows: If you love cooking, you may love the idea of using fresh herbs and veggies to cook with. With a garden window you can easily grow your own herbs and other plants year-round. Garden windows let in the perfect amount of light no matter the weather. Plus, the plants that you grow—which can be herbs and veggies, or beautiful flowers—will make your kitchen look and smell that much more inviting. Besides the gardening aspect, this window style is perfect for those who love a little extra space to work with.
- Double Hung Windows: By far, this window style is the most popular one regardless of the room in question. This window style offers great airflow and ease of use that is nearly unbeatable. Plus, they're a stylish choice thanks to the different sizes and finishes available with this option. Keep in mind this window can be slightly difficult open when reaching over the sink if you're short.
- Bay Window: Bay windows are known for their aesthetic appeal as well as its ability to let more light into the kitchen. However, this is an option that requires additional space due to the naturally large size of this window. However, the window extends past the outside wall of the home, which means potentially more counter space.
- Casement Windows: These windows open outward via a crank. This means total airflow control. Not to mention, you'll enjoy more natural light and ventilation. If you want more cheeriness for your kitchen, then consider casement windows.
Replacement Windows With Bordner Home Improvement
In the state of Colorado, the climate changes throughout the year. For this reason alone, you need modern well-fitted windows that perform as well as they look. At Bordner Home Improvement, we understand how important windows are for our customers—and how much of an investment they are. That's why we offer the best products backed by superior installation practices for perfect replacement windows. We carry a full line of window products that range from budget-friendly to top-of-the-line in a variety of styles. Some of the styles we carry include:
- Bay windows
- Bow windows
- Casement windows
- Double-hung windows
- Garden windows
- And more!
Ready to upgrade? Give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional window installation services or fill out our online form to schedule your free quote.